9th Annual Critical Disability Studies Students’ Association
Graduate Student Conference
York University’s Critical Disability Studies Student Association (CDSSA) will be holding its 9th annual graduate student conference on Saturday, April 6th, 2013 at York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The conference is meant to showcase graduate students across the globe and their work relating to themes and issues within the scope of Critical Disability Studies.
The event is interdisciplinary, and so possible topics can include but are not limited to the following:
- Disability advocacy
- Critical theory and disability: feminism, post-modernism, Marxism, etc.
- History of disability: Antiquity, Middle Ages, Victorian Age, Industrial Age, etc.
- Law and public policy, and disability
- Qualitative and quantitative research pertaining to disability
- Education and disability
- Culture: disability-related literature and film analysis
- Employment, market, workforce, and income security in relation to disability
- Disability-related topics in social sciences: psychology, sociology, geography, political science
- Assessment of accessibility accommodations
- Technology and disability
- Race and disability
Abstracts Submission Specifications and Deadline
The CDSSA adjudication committee will review abstracts that are in English and are 150 to 200 words in length. Abstracts must be anonymous. Applicants must email their abstract as an attachment in Microsoft Word format, with their names removed, at email@example.com. The text of the email must include (1) the author’s name, (2)institutional affiliation, (3) program of study (e.g. Anthropology, Political Science), (4) level of study (e.g. MA, PhD), (5) phone number, (6) title of the abstract, and (7) the preferred presentation format (paper or poster). (Note: Authors might be asked to present their work as posters instead of as paper presentations.)
To learn about how to write an abstract, go to https://cdssa.wordpress.com/conference-2/how-to-write-an-abstract/
Submission deadline: January 7th, 2013
Paper Presentation Specifications
Paper presentations must be no longer than 20 minutes, which equates to approximately 10-15 pages, with 12 point Times New Roman font, double-line spacing, and 1-inch margins.
Student presenters must register for the event. For details, go to https://cdssa.wordpress.com/conference-2/registration/
Allergy alert: We request conference participants not to bring in any nut or soy products, and not to wear scented products.
Caption: The heading contains 3 images. From left: a presenter standing next to her academic poster, a presenter sitting at the front of a room reading her paper, a keynote facing his audience. These images were taken at the 2009 CDSSA Graduate Student Conference.