Critical Disability Studies Students’ Association
9th Annual Graduate Student Conference
Saturday, April 6th, 2013
The Critical Disability Conference Planning Committee invites artists to submit up to 3 slides of their work in photography, mixed media, works on paper, video, or sculpture exploring art and aesthetics related to the discipline of Critical Disability Studies.
What is Critical Disability Studies?
This exhibit will explore disability as a fluid construct that resists a normalizing conceptualization. Instead, we suggest that disability is varied and heterogeneous, intersectional, and slippery (Shildrick, 2007).
Critical Disability Studies understands disability not as a failing located in the individual but rather as the product and process of multiple and intersecting oppressions.
Include the followings in your submission:
1. Contact information including your telephone number, full mailing address and an e-mail address.
2. Artist’s biography which is of maximum 75 words in a Word document.
3. Description of proposed work including size, material and type (installation or wall hung). (NOTE: Upon acceptance, all pieces must be able to be hung or installed securely.)
4. A comprehensive and detailed description of your work for accessibility purposes. This description should be approximately 100-150 words.
5. Three images of representative work in JPG format. Do not send website links. If you submit sculpture or tactile work, inform us as to whether the audience will be invited to interact with it through touch.
Digital Files may be sent as jpgs on a CD or as an e-mail attachment. Emailed image files should be no larger than 640 x 480 ppi (72 dpi) and must be numbered and named to correspond with image list.
If you submit by email, include your name as part of the file names of your attachments.
6. Numbered image list giving size of works, medium, dimensions and any other relevant details.
Note: Upon acceptance of your work, your bio, work and description of the work will be posted to the conference website.
The submission deadline is January 7th, 2013.
If you submit by email, send your entries to email@example.com
If you submit by surface mail, send your contact information, bio, artist’s statement, details of proposed work and the image list in hardcopy along with your CD. If you would like your submission package returned, include a self-addressed and stamped envelope. (Note: We are not responsible for the damges or loss that may occur.) Mail in your entries to:
CDSSA Conference Committee
(c/o Critical Disability Studies Graduate Program)
4700 Keele Street
Canada M3J 1P3
Artists who plan on attending the conference must register for the event. For details, go to https://cdssa.wordpress.com/conference-2/registration/
Allergy alert: We request conference participants not to bring in any nut or soy products, and not to wear scented products.
Caption: The heading contains 3 images. From left: a presenter standing next to her academic poster, a presenter sitting at the front of a room reading her paper, a keynote facing his audience. These images were taken at the 2009 CDSSA Graduate Student Conference.