The CDSSA is open to all registered full-time and part-time students at York University, regardless of disability, sex, race, sexual orientation, age, creed, or country of origin (note that this list is not exhaustive, and other identity characteristics can be read in).
Full-time and part-time graduate students of the CDS Graduate Program are automatically members of the CDSSA, and as such are entitled to attend all CDSSA meetings and to exercise voting privileges.
Meetings of the General Membership
Meetings are project-specific (such as the journal or conference), and take place monthly on average. Meetings tend to take place in the CDS Lounge (HNES 006) or the CDS designated classroom (Vari Hall 1156). Project members communicate by email when it is not possible for all or some members to meet.
Composition Executive Committee
The Executive Committee of the CDSSA is non-hierarchically arranged. There are members responsible for overseeing projects and representing the CDSSA on York political bodies. See Page marked Exec Roles for further details about positions, and Page marked Exec Members for students elected into these Executive positions.
Duties of the Executive Committee
Executive Committee members are responsible for ensuring that 1) CDSSA projects come into fruition, and 2) CDS students’ interests are represented on political bodies at York University. Project committees are democratically arranged, as is the Executive Committee, ensuring that no one member asserts power over another position or individual.
Election of Executive Members
1) The election of the members of the Executive Committee set down in Article I above shall take place during the month of October each year.
2) The dates for nominations period, campaigns period, and voting shall be specified by full members during a general meeting or by email communication.
3) Only full members of the association are eligible to run and vote in elections.
4) Voting for Executive Committee members will take place during a general meeting or by email. Whenever possible, decisions will be determined by consensus. If two people are interested in the same position, we leave room for the possibility that projects may be overseen by co-organizers working together. When this is not possible, elections will be carried out according to Roberts Rules of voting, subject to flexibility in order to accommodate voters: “show of hands”, “yeas or nays”, by ballot.
5) When only one person is interested in a position, she will be acclaimed.
Expiration of Term
The appointment of each person elected as an Executive Committee member will be from October to August.
Meetings of the Executive
Meetings take place monthly on average. Meetings tend to take place in the CDS Lounge (HNES 006) or the CDS designated classroom (Vari Hall 1156). Members communicate by email when it is not possible for all or some members to meet.